Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Learning Journal 15

Lately I have been thinking about the different perceptions and ideas people have that can differ from others. Some people have different perceptions and it can be hard when they differ from yours. I am having this problem with one of my good friends. We both have completely different views on a certain subject and how it should be. I think it should be this way and he thinks it should be a different way. I don't really understand his viewpoints and he doesn't really understand mine. I think a lot of how we came to have the viewpoints that we have are because of how we were raised and how we grew up. I think it also has to do with our personalities and who we are. It causes a lot of difficulties and is hard to deal with. This situation I am in now makes me wonder what situations like this I will run into in the field. I know pretty much everyone in Tonga are going to have different viewpoints on certain things or maybe on everything than I do. My question is how do I deal with that? Do I just ignore my perceptions and just listen to theirs? I guess the point of a field study is to immerse yourself in the culture and do everything their way so you can learn about them and their perceptions. My ideas and perceptions don't really matter. Just some more things I have been pondering lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment