Thursday, February 3, 2011

Extra Credit Learning Journal 1

My experience at the Rafa Rafa activity was fun. It was very interesting to be put in a situation where I was not part of the culture and had to figure out what was culturally acceptable. I haven't ever been put in a situation like that so it was very different for me. I was in the Alpha culture. I figured out how to act in my own culture pretty quickly and actually won a couple times. But when I went in to the Beta culture I had no idea what was going on. They were making different animal sounds and trading cards. It was definitely different then what I was used to and I had no idea how to act. I even got shunned a couple times. When I went back to my own culture I felt much more comfortable and even enjoyed watching the people from the Beta culture try to interact with us. Afterward we all gathered back in our original room and discussed the activity. It was interesting to hear exactly what the Beta culture really was all about. It was kind of what we thought but then again it was a lot different as well. It was a good experience and kind of eye opening for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment