Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Learning Journal 12

My project took a hundred and eighty degree turn this last week. I decided to do a project on physical activity in Tonga instead of obesity. I feel a lot better about my project than I did before and I feel like I will be able to study everything I wanted to and more. My project is going to study how Tongan's view physical activity and how methods they use to stay fit. I also want to study Tongan's viewpoint on what is healthy and their idea of the ideal Tongan.

I think it will be really interesting to study the ideal Tongan and compare and contrast their views of what is healthy and what is not with our American viewpoint. I think that their viewpoint is different than ours in a lot of ways. Our image of physically fit or healthy is skinny and buff. that is not always the case but it is what Americans think is fit and healthy or the ideal American. In my methods 1 assignment the person I asked the person I interviewed about what they considered to physically healthy or fit. Their answer said that someone who is slim and works out is healthy. He even went so far as to say that he thinks someone has to run to be healthy and fit. I also asked him if he thought that eating right or healthy had to do with being physically healthy. His reply was that he thought it probably had to do something with it but "I mean I don't eat terribly healthy but I still consider myself to be pretty physically fit and healthy". This comment made me think about the Tongan viewpoint and if they thought they were physically fit and healthy even though they weren't healthy by our standards. These were just some interesting thoughts going through my head as I thought about my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment