Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Learning Journal 10

While I was looking for an article on kinship in Tonga I found out it is a patriarchal and patrilineal society. Despite this fact women have their own special rights and powers over men because of their respected position as sisters and paternal aunts. This position is known as the fahu. The fahu is the oldest sister in the family. She has total dominance over her brothers. Their number one job is to serve the fahu. When I first heard about this position it intrigued me. Not only is it completely different from my culture but it is different from the world's perception of women. Usually women in the world don't have any power or really get any respect. They have their positions of taking care of the family and are expected to do certain things. In Tonga however, women are shown proper respect and even have power over the men. I still don't quite understand the position of the fahu but I know that it is a deep part of their culture. I would really like to learn more about the gender roles of men and women, especially the fahu.

No comments:

Post a Comment