Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Learning Journal 5

I have been thinking about ways I can expand my project specifically what topics related to obesity I can study. Also what topics I should consider as I research my project here in the U.S. and what topics to consider once I am in the field. I read "Obesity in Pacific Islands", an article about the prevalence of obesity in the Pacific Islands, and it helped me to get an idea of topics to study. Some of them were the amount of physical activity Tongans get, secular trends in dealing with obesity or becoming obese, a traditional Tongan diet, any cultural and socioeconomic factors associated with obesity, the age in which obesity increases or starts, obesity and mortality rates, and trying to compare obesity to other factors. I realized I still need to get a lot more information about these topics. But I do think it is important to start thinking about how these factors might change in the specific location I will be researching in. Things like the prevalence of obesity in Tongatapu might be different then the prevalence of obesity in Va'vau or in Ha'apai.

No comments:

Post a Comment