Friday, April 8, 2011

Learning Journal 29

So I had a really good chat with Dallin today about what to expect of my field study experience. He basically just said that it is going to be really hard. Trying to figure out how to live in a different culture is hard work. he said that feelings of wanting to go home are normal so is a little crying. He said not to think its going to be a party down there. There will be ups and downs and it will will be very challenging. While he was telling me this I was kind of having feelings of "oh boy what did I get myself into" and "am I going to be able to handle this" again. It kind of got me worried about trying to assimilate into a new culture. One of the things Dallin did say that really helped me was the part he said after the ups and downs. He said something to the effect of "just like life, it has its ups and downs too and you just have to get through them". I really liked when he said that. It made me think about all the trials and hard things I've had to get through to get where I am today Yes, they were hard but I got through them and even though they were hard the experience was worth it. I grew in so many different ways and learned so much because it was hard. I know these thoughts are a little jumbled and might be confusing but I think I've finally realized that even though a field study is a TON of work and as hard as it will get down there in Tonga, the experience will be worth it! So bring it on!!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! The closer it gets to us leaving, the more nervous I get. I am so excited all of the time about it, then I'm like "oh yeah, it's not going to be all fun and partying." I think for me personally, I don't know what will be the hard things for me to deal with and that makes me even more nervous. But like you said, it will be worth it! I'm going to remind myself of that when things get crazy down there.

    ReplyDelete