Monday, March 7, 2011

Learning Journal 20

I've thought a lot about the topic of agency lately and how it is used. I agree that agency can be used to discern from right and wrong but I definitely think that agency can also be used to choose between good and better things to do. I was thinking about how the principle of agency we discussed in class could be related to my project and ultimately to my field study experience. I think a lot of it has to do with how we use our agency and the decisions we make while we are in the field. We can choose right and wrong things pretty easily I think but being able to decide better things to do is something different entirely. When we get in the field I don't think it will be hard for us to decide not to cheat or lie. It might, however, be harder to decide how to utilize our time more effectively and do better things with our time down there. For example interviewing people is a very good method of gaining information but going with them to work and gathering food might be more valuable. Observations in the market place would be an effective way of gathering general information on a certain topic but actually talking to people and creating rapport might be better. These are just some thoughts that have been running around in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment