Friday, March 4, 2011

learning Journal 19

I have been thinking a lot about the article "Helping, Fixing, or Serving" and what it truly means to serve someone. In my last learning journal I talked about the importance of making sure the people you talk to don't become a number. Ashley commented on my journal and asked me if I had thought about ways I can communicate to the people I spend time with that I see them as an individual. I thought about that and came up with a few ideas. First off I think just knowing someone's name goes along way. Last summer I made it a goal to know everyone's name in my ward. I learned everyone's names and whenever I would see any of them I would call them by name and say hi. It was really cool how much of a difference knowing someone's name really made. I made a lot of friends. People were more comfortable around me cause they felt like I really cared about them since I had cared enough to learn their name. Another idea I had was to ask them questions about their life and show genuine interest. Don't talk about myself unless they ask me questions. Try to focus on them and their interests instead of mine. I could also find out about the things that they cared about and ask them about it any time I see them. Also remembering things about the person even after you talk to them goes a long way as well. These are just a few ideas I have come up with so far but I'm going to keep thinking and see what I can come up with. Ps mentoring was cancelled today so I guess I'll have to practice telling someone I have to go next Friday....

No comments:

Post a Comment